Our way forward
Adopt Change is an Australian-based not-for-profit organisation.
Every child deserves a family, and we embrace adoption as a positive way of forming a permanent loving family.
We support capacity building of families to ensure that vulnerable children are able to remain within their birth family where possible. When that is not possible or safe, adoption must be a legitimate option when considering permanency for vulnerable children.
To raise community awareness, encourage reform and empower all Australians to ensure all children have a permanent loving family.
What We Do
- Advocate for child-centred legislative and policy reform at a State and Federal level to ensure every child has access to a permanent, stable and loving family.
- Raise awareness within the community and through media of the risks faced by vulnerable children and the necessity for children to have access to permanency for positive life outcomes.
- Conduct research to contribute to the understanding of issues for children including the importance of permanency; the impact of trauma; pre- and post-adoptive supports for families and children; and topics surrounding adoption and permanency within Australia.
- Educate through the facilitation of workshops, conferences and information sessions for professionals, parents and carers on topics including trauma-informed care; pre- and post-adoptive supports; and Trust-Based Relational Intervention, accessing the expertise of local and international educators, researchers and speakers.
- Provide supports and resources to the community including information and guidance on the adoption process (both domestic and intercountry); pre- and post-adoptive trauma-informed supports; community events; and an online forum.
- Collaborate with the sector, politicians, policy makers and departments on the various issues surrounding adoption, permanency and child welfare through the provision of consultancy and advisory services and input (including involvement on the Advisory Panel for the NSW Institute of Open Adoption Studies).
- Run National Adoption Awareness Week each November, bringing together politicians, community, departments, sector and media to focus on key issues surrounding adoption.
Adopt Change was founded in 2008 by a small group of
volunteers, headed up by Founder Deborra-lee Furness, in response to the
challenges faced by families and children navigating complex adoption processes
National Adoption Awareness Week
began as National Adoption Awareness Week (NAAW) with the aim of shining
a light upon the critical issues and systemic challenges facing vulnerable
children in Australia.
Government of Australia's commitment to adoption reform in December 2013
represented a significant achievement in the advocacy of NAAW and the
Australian adoption community for more ethical and supportive adoption
processes in Australia.
Adopt Change is formed
In 2014, NAAW
officially re-emerged as Adopt Change to allow year-round campaigning. National Adoption Awareness Week continues as
our major annual awareness-raising event.
Today, under the
leadership of CEO, Renee Carter, Adopt Change works with Australian state and
federal governments, the adoption sector and the community in order to achieve
the common goal of ensuring that every child has the opportunity to grow up in
a permanent, loving family.